In 1935 J. R. Jackson opened the first “J.R.J. Cycles” with money borrowed from his mother but upon the outbreak of World War II, the shop shut whilst Bob served in the Royal Air Force.
On his return Bob restarted his old business and soon built up a successful line of lightweight racing cycles, as well as building frames for many of the well known cycle companies of the day. The purchase of the historic “Merlin” brand in 1955 brought new life to this classic marque & soon there were parallel ranges of “JRJ”s & “Merlin” frames. By 1964 The “Bob Jackson” special edition framesets & cycles were starting to make their mark & were featured in the 1964 catalogue.1969 saw the company move to 148 Harehills Lane, soon to become famous both here & across the Atlantic when “JRJ “ cycles showed at the only stateside show at the time, New York. Massive sales were followed by subsequent trips to the states & by the early 1970`s Bob had an unrivalled reputation in the USA & the UK.